- + 1st Round: 15 December 2020
- + 2nd Round: 1 March 2021
Tsinghua University (THU) offers Master’s and Doctoral degree programs to international students in 43 schools and departments. Among them, 21 Master’s degree programs and 8 Doctoral degree programs are offered fully in English, while others are offered fully in Chinese or bilingually in Chinese and English.
Master degree programs are generally required to be completed in 2-3 years, and Doctoral degree programs in 3-4 years. For students with a Bachelor’s degree who move on directly to pursue a Doctoral degree program, the study period is normally 4-5 years.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport.
2. Master’s degree program applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent degree to a Bachelor’s degree (or above) in China. Doctoral degree program applicants should have a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree to a Master’s degree (or above) in China.
3. Applicants should be in good health and of good character, be well-behaved and be willing to abide by China’s laws and regulations, as well as Tsinghua’s rules.
4. Language competence requirements:
- The applicant’s Chinese proficiency should meet the Chinese proficiency requirements announced by relevant schools/departments in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021‘.
- The applicants’ English proficiency for the English program should meet the English proficiency requirements announced in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’ and the Admission Guide of the programs.
5. Some programs have specific requirements for applicants’ academic performance, working years, etc. For relevant information, please refer to the remarks in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’ and the Admissions Guide of the programs.
At present, Tsinghua University mainly provides the following scholarships for outstanding prospective full-time international graduate students.
Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS): The Full CGS usually covers tuition, stipend, on-campus accommodation (or accommodation subsidy), and medical insurance. The Partial CGS includes one or a few items in the Full CGS. Annual Review is strictly required for all CGS holders.
Tuition Scholarship: For example, the Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students, covers full or partial tuition fee with a duration of one academic year. Applicants may apply for Tuition Scholarships annually (competitive).
For further information about scholarships, please refer to Scholarships for Prospective Full-time International Graduate Students at Tsinghua University.
HOW to APPLY:
Applicants should complete an Online Application on this website during the designated THU application period. (Exceptions: applicants for Schwarzman Scholars and MBA programs, please apply on the specified websites). Applicants should fill in the application information online, upload the application documents listed below to the Online Application System, and pay the application fee online of RMB 800 at the time of submission.
Please upload all the documents listed below to the application system:
1. Personal statement. Master’s degree program applicants should submit a Personal Statement. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both a Personal Statement and a brief introduction of their research experience or research plan. Click here for the template.
2. Degree certificate. Master’s degree program applicants should submit their Bachelor’s degree certificate. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit both their Master’s and Bachelor’s degree certificates. Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline shall provide the expected graduation certificate first, and the degree diploma must be submitted before registration. (Applicants who have graduated are recommended to provide a certified copy or an authentication of the degree diploma at the same time. The certified copy / authentication and the original degree diploma should be combined into one PDF file and uploaded to the application system.) Please click here for the issuing method of the certification.
3. Academic transcript. Master’s degree program applicants should submit the academic transcript of their undergraduate study. Doctoral degree program applicants should submit academic transcripts of both graduate and undergraduate studies. Applicants who will not graduate before the application deadline shall provide their current academic transcript. In this case, the completed academic transcript must be submitted before registration.
4. HSK certificate and score report for programs offered in Chinese. For related requirements, please check the program remarks in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’. Applicants who complete their undergraduate or master’s studies in Chinese must provide a certificate issued by the university they graduated from. After obtaining the permission of the applied school/department, they can be exempted from submitting the HSK score certificate.
5. Two academic recommendation letters from scholars who hold the title of associate professor or higher, or senior professionals in a related academic field. Please follow the instructions on the online system for submission of online recommendation letters or upload the recommendation letters signed by references.
6. Passport personal information page (personal and ordinary passport). (According to Article 3 of the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, any individual who was a Chinese national and then acquired a foreign nationality shall provide a Certificate of Cancellation of Chinese Household registration issued by the police station where the original household registration is located. )
7. Some programs may require additional application documents; please check the program remarks in the ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021’ or the program admission brochures.
Please note that applicants are required to submit scanned images of all required documents at the time of application. All uploaded documents should be in Chinese or in English; otherwise notarial translations in Chinese or English are required. Once translated, the original documents and certified translations should be submitted together to the application system.
Please scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are not acceptable. Scans of copies are also not acceptable.
The application fee must be paid at the time the application is submitted. (It cannot be covered by the Chinese Government Scholarship). Please apply online and pay the application fee in a safe place. THU is not responsible for any losses caused by your own operation errors or the leakage of your online payment account and password. Please consider carefully before paying the application fee online. If you cannot finish the application due to various reasons, the paid application fee will not be refunded. Regardless of whether the application is successful or not, the application fee is not refundable.
Applications with incomplete documents or without application fee payment will not be processed.
THU has the right to require applicants to provide original/notarized copies of application materials or certification documents issued by a designated certification body for further inspection.
Please click below for:
- The application requirements on ‘Application Instructions for Bachelor’s Degree Holders to Pursue Doctoral Degrees‘
- The ‘Catalog of Graduate Programs 2021-Doctoral Programs for International Students 2021
Should you have any further queries, please contact:
Graduate Admissions Office, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084 P. R. China