Deadline: 1 February and 1 March 2021
Applicants for all Master’s programme at Leiden University – with the exception of LLM (non-advanced) and MSc programmes at Leiden Law School.
- For non-EEA/non-EFTA nationals who are applying for a Master’s programme at Leiden University.
- For students of all nationalities applying for an LLM Advanced Studies programme, or the MSC in International Relations and Diplomacy.
- Students must have achieved excellent academic results in their previous study programme(s), which must be relevant to the Master’s programme for which they are applying. As an indication, the student is amongst the top 10% of graduates in his/her previous study programme. Note that proof of ranking is not required – this information is purely to indicate the level of competitiveness
- Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University Master’s degree, with the exception of students applying for a Master programme for which a specified previous Master programme or work experience is mandatory (e.g. LLM Advanced Studies programmes).
- Scholarships cannot be awarded to students who will follow an LLM (non-advanced) or MSc programme at Leiden Law School, as these programmes do not award LExS scholarships.
- For LLM Advanced Studies programmes, scholarships are only awarded for programmes starting on 1 September. You cannot be awarded a scholarship for Adv LLM studies starting on 1 Feb.
- It is not possible to combine the LExS with another scholarship financed by Leiden University.
- It is not possible to combine the LExS with another full scholarship from an external provider. Students are obliged to notify the scholarships department if they receive a full scholarship from another source. In some circumstances, the LExS may be combined with a partial scholarship from an external provider. Contact the Scholarships Team for further details.
SCHOLARSHIP or LOAN AMOUNT:
The LExS is awarded for the duration of the study programme. There are three available levels of awards:
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
- The LExS is not a full scholarship. Non-EEA LExS recipients must still submit ‘proof of sufficient funds’ for their student visa/residence permit application.
HOW to APPLY:
- Apply online for admission to a Master’s programme at Leiden University and pay the application fee if applicable.
- In the scholarship section of your online application, indicate that you wish to apply for a LExS.
- Upload your LExS motivation letter as instructed in your online application. This is a PDF file of max. 500 words, in which you explain why you would like to be considered for the award.
- Submit your online application, containing your LExS application, before the LExS application deadline.
- If you apply for more than one study programme and wish to apply for a LExS for each, indicate this clearly in each application and upload a LExS motivation letter for each.
Students who are granted a LExS must comply with, and confirm in writing, their agreement with the Rules and Regulations attached to the scholarship prior to the awarding of the scholarship.
Should you have any query, please contact:
Student and Educational Affairs
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 7192
Email: [email protected]